Amarnath Yatra - Travel Tips
* Please ensure that you are physically and mentally fit to perform the journey as the Yatra involves trekking at an altitude of 14, 000 ft. Have yourself medically examined and certified fit for the journey and forward the medical certificate to the registering authority designated for your area of residence.
* Do carry sufficient heavy woolens including sweaters, (full as well as half sleaved), drawers woolen trousers, gloves, monkey caps etc. other items to be carried include wind cheater, light rain coat, a sleeping bag or blankets or a set of bedding items water proof tent, a torch with sufficient batteries, a walking stick with proper hand grip. Ladies are advised not go on the journey in Saris, instead pants or salwar suits with drawers should be used.
* Do carry some eatable like biscuits, candy, milk powder, sugar, assorted dry fruits, honey and some tinned food with you. Also carry water bottle, plastic plate, tumbler, Spoons, etc.
* Ration and firewood quota has been especially arranged for you at all stations enroute, against payment.
* Make sure that the ponywalla, the labourer, the dandywalla is properly registered and carries a token. You can get these allotted at fixed rates by competent authority at the same camp.
* Do ensure that ponies carrying your luggage and eatables etc. remain with you all time, if you let them ramain behind you are likely to be unnecessarily inconvenienced.
* Do observe discipline on the trek and keep on moving slowly and steadily. Adhere to the instructions issued by the Yatra Officer from time to time. The officials of the Police, Tourism, Health, Food & Supplies and other Departments are there to help you to perform the journey comfortably.
* Do carry sufficient money to pay your accommodation at Pehalgam and at other stations enroute to the Holy Cave and for meeting other personal requirements.
* All medical facilities during the Yatra are free. However, do carry your personal medical kit also.
* Carrying/use of alcohol enroute the Yatra is strictly prohibited.
* Do not overstrain on steep gradients.
* Do not relax at points where there are warning notices.
* Do not break traffic discipline or try to overtake others in difficult stretches of the route.
* Do not pay more than the prices/rates fixed for porters, ponies, dandies, rations firewood, accommodation etc.